Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Nikon D800 Sharpness Test - Tikidoll Sakura

Nikon D800 test photo, part 1 of 2, showing an area that will be enlarged in photo 2 of 2, Copyright 2012 Robert Giordano www.design215.com Nikon D800 test photo, part 2 of 2, showing the enlarged area outlined in photo 1 of 2, Copyright 2012 Robert Giordano www.design215.com

The two photos above are from one of the first test shoots I did with my new Nikon D800 camera. My friend Tikidoll Sakura modeled one of her latest outfits. The area outlined in the first photo is enlarged in the second photo. Click on the second photo to see a 1:1 view of this area. No additional sharpening was applied to the image. I say "additional" because some sharpening is done in the camera at its default setting.

Before I purchased the D800, I was a little worried about sharpness because 1) many people were talking about it, and 2) Nikon offered a second version of the camera, the D800E. Nevertheless, I bought the regular D800 and I'm glad I did. After examining the images from this shoot, I cannot imagine the need for anything sharper. You can count the individual threads in the straps of the model's garter belt!

All of this extra sharpness actually created more work for me. I found myself retouching tiny little spots and specks that you would never see when the image is resized for the web or even for small print. I could have applied a small amount of blur or one of my noise filters to clean up the image but I wanted to leave the overall image untouched in order to demonstrate the sharpness of this camera.

Although the sharpness of the D800 goes beyond my expectations, some users might have trouble getting super sharp photos. This camera will test the limits of your lenses. If you are not using one of Nikon's sharpest lenses, you will not get the same results shown here. Also, I manually focus all of my shots to get the best results. You might find the camera is a little less forgiving when you are focusing. Because the D800 is a full frame camera, your depth of field will appear shallower than a DX camera, for a given lens.

Nikon D800 with Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 manual focus lens. Exposure: f/8 1/125 ISO 100.

2 comments:

Tim Mooney said...

Yes great shot Robert. I'm looking forward to getting my 800
Tim
www.timmooneyphotography.com

Tim Mooney said...

Yes great shot Robert and sharpness. I'm looking forward to getting my 800.
www.timmooneyphotography.com